Well, Christmas has crept past since I last posted. Shame on me! To be fair, I haven't had a lot to tell - the usual season of overindulgence and bad TV. Half the family afflicted with the 'flu (not me, mercifully). And sadly I missed my target of finishing the book I'm working on before I had to go back to the 'day job'.
But I did make good progress, and 'Personal Demons' is now very, very near to completion. It has turned out to be longer than I expected in many ways . More than a year in the writing, and pushing 65,000 words in its unedited form.
But I'm pleased with it, subject to the usual proviso of me not being satisfied with anything I produce. I hope it does justice to the wider 'Personal Demons' project. So many people have been involved in activities inspired by the book, I feel a crushing responsibility to make the finished story 'worthy', if you like. But I suppose I always have a responsibility to produce the best work I can, and this should be no different. It just feels scarier!
The ending of the book gathers speed rapidly and turns into a complicated swirl of converging story-lines, with a lot of supernatural goings-on that will make producing a stage version difficult. I hope those involved with 'PD - The Musical' forgive me. Anyway, the side products have always been rather tenuously linked to the central book. 'PD - The Documentary', for instance, (which has been nominated for a major award) shares nothing more than the title. So the musical is free to go its own way.
Anyway, it is done. Or will be in a few more days. I'm on TV again at the beginning of March (2nd, BBC2, 8.00pm, to be precise) and I would like to do any selling of the manuscript in advance of that, in the vague hope of cashing in on the publicity. But it will be a rush to get the polishing done before then. We will see.
Expect a 'sigh of relief' posting soon, when the whole thing is done.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment