Friday, June 23, 2006

Malifex Country

Well, no sooner do I start this blog than I go off on holiday and abandon it! I thought it might be difficult to keep this up…

Anyway, I’m back now from 4 days camping on the Isle of Purbeck, which readers of ‘The Malifex’ will know isn’t an island at all, but a very special bit of Dorset between Corfe Castle and Swanage.

It was something of a pilgrimage for me – it’s the first time I’ve been there for many years, well before I wrote ‘The Malifex’, and I wanted to visit (or re-visit) some of the places I had written about. And it was a strange experience. Many of the locations looked just how I remembered them, but for some of them my memories had faded and it was like seeing them again for the first time. I even went to a few locations that I had written about but never actually visited before – they were just names on a map.

All in all it was a great experience and made me want to spend more time in Dorset. I didn’t get everywhere I wanted to go (the rest of the family had other ideas – Monkey World, the SeaLife Centre, etc) so I’ve got an excuse to go back again soon!

I took plenty of photos with the plan of up-dating my website. I’m going to have separate pages for Dorset, as featured in ‘The Malifex’, and Hastings for ‘The Firehills’. Check the site in the next month or so to see if I’ve got around to it!

I’m off up to Yorkshire this weekend to do a series of school visits around Rotherham, including my old school, Aston Comp, which will be spooky to say the least.

I’ll let you know how I got on next week.

Steve

No comments: