Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's a Con!

I thought long and hard about going to Orbital - Eastercon 2008 (and if you don't know what it is, have a look here) but eventually decided against it. Let's see if that was the right decision:

For:

It was near Heathrow, which is as near as it has been for a long time (Bradford next year, for instance)

A friend of mine (the lovely Tanith Lee) was one of the Guests of Honour

There were several other GoHs whose work I've read, eg China Mieville, Neil Gaiman

My sometime agent John Jarrold was there, presenting the BSFA Awards

There was a bar

There were some very interesting sessions, including one by the very talented John Kaiine

There was a bar

Against:

It was expensive

It was snowing

I've never been to one before, and don't know if they are a) a hoot or b) full of people with poor social skills dressed as Klingons (the people, not the social skills)

The missus was not keen, for the above 3 reasons

There was a bar

So, let's look at the scores...

Yup - looks like I should have gone. :-(

No comments: